Dear Mrs. Wingrove,
I'm writing you this letter to thank you for being such a
hard worker, and for caring so much about your students that you go above and
beyond so that we are on the right path. I am so lucky to have crossed paths
with you during my lifetime. You may not know it, but the things that you have
taught me have stuck with me forever. All of the great and useful things that I
have learned from you are thought about and appreciated, still, every single
day!
When I first started attending the Burlington Evening
Academy, I saw you twice a week. At
first, you were just another teacher. As I got to know you, I could tell that
you were as kind as they come! Not only did you create this wonderful program
so that high school kids who weren't doing so well with grades could have a
better shot at getting their diplomas, you also included yourself in the
program. You worked hard to help us learn and grow to be more responsible
people. You taught me to never give up on myself, that kindness wasn't always taken for granted, and you showed me what great potential I had when I tried.
Today, I am in school part time and working at an elementary
school part time. I know that you would be happy that I am still going to school!
I love my job and I am finally getting better grades in school, like you always
told me I could if I had tried harder. The way that you interacted with
students, even the ones who weren’t so nice to you, really taught be to be a
better person. Today, because of you, if something isn’t going my way I know
with certainty that everything will get better if I just keep my head up and
keep trying! I plan to be like you, and make a difference in peoples’ lives who
need it the most. Thank you so much!
Best,
In a new classroom, where you helped me to be
A whole new world, you allowed me to see
No more stress, there’s a grand life ahead
You opened a door, and down the right path you led
If not for you, Id surely be lost
Me giving up, is what your absence would cost
Now I see the sun, and all that is light
Because of who you are, and how hard you fight
You do it for us, not for yourself
You blessed us with guidance and cared for our health
People come and go, they walk by so fast
But the imprint you've left, surely will last
You have the positive vibes that cure the rainy days
I have hope in the future now, storm clouds have gone away
Since your dreams have come true, I know that mine may

Sena,
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Your letter is very carefully crafted and sincere. I'm sure Mrs. Windgrove would love and appreciate receiving this letter. I'd think about sending it along. I wrote a letter to a teacher in high school, and I'm sure he still remembers that gesture.
It sounds like you had a great "turning point" person come into your life and adjust your perspective about school/work/future... how to treat others. What a true inspiration. It's amazing when these people come in, and it's up to us to recognize that asap.
Your poem is good - I find it to be very interesting in its style. The imagery and wording is quite simple. The rhyming really pulls it all together, and your final line is the best. That's the perfect closer for this poem. Once I read that line, it sealed the deal for me. The poem instantly became unified/complete.
Very cool.
My suggestions:
1. Try to put an image or picture right at the top - to catch your reader's attention and set the whole tone of the post.
2. Your writing is very well-thought out and controlled. Think about letting some ideas splurge onto the page - let your writing lose it's shape for a second - see where your thoughts go. Write it all down and see what comes out. Maybe wilder ideas/words.
3. Just be sure to submit your post on time. Everyone's trying hard to get it in, so in respect to everyone's efforts, try your best to manage your time and make your deadline. I think you can do that, easily.
You have great talents popping up throughout your writing. I think that you'll keep growing a little each week - and I hope to see that growth in your posts.
GR: 83 (-10 late)