Friday, February 20, 2015

A Better Work Life



In the following paragraphs I will describe a couple of jobs that I have had and what I have learned from them. I will discuss where they were, what the jobs were, and how they made me change as a person. I will talk about how they made the plans for my future more clear to me, and helped me to understand what I really wanted out of life. 



The first job that I ever had was at Stop & Shop. 
I was so young, maybe 15, and knew so little about the working world and how it worked. 
I remember feeling like since they allowed me to work there, I had to do everything perfect
 I felt as if I were working for the president or something. 
I felt so lucky that they had "chosen" me to work there. If I messed anything up or needed help with something, I nearly had a nervous breakdown worrying that I would get fired for doing something wrong. Now, over the years, I have learned that although it is important to be respectful, tactful, and an efficient worker.. 
I do not need to feel as though I owe my life to thank a job
 for hiring me when they are not paying me any more than the minimum.



The second job I will talk about is waitressing. One of the places I waitressed at was a resturaunt I actually really love the food at called "Border Cafe". It felt like my co-workers were popular bullies in high school. They were all so clicky, unwelcoming, and talked what felt like a mile a minute leaving me disoriented. At most waitressing jobs, there is this thing called "sidework" which is basically just the waitresses doing all of the cleaning and shutting down of the restaurant before it closes and everyone goes home. When you did your side work, you were supposed to get one of the "closing managers" (which was another waitress that had usually worked there for a long time) to sign a piece of paper saying that they checked your portion of the cleaning or whatever and your work was complete. I had noticed that all of the other waitresses just signed the piece of paper themselves (avoiding having to track down a closing manager only to find out they are busy for the next twenty minutes so you have to wait around twiddling your thumbs). Long story short: I noticed most people forging signatures, so I decided to do it too because all my work was honestly done and I could tell Id have to wait around for a really long time before I could leave. Unluckily for me, my closing manager was this girl Caitlyn, which I am not just saying this or making this up, but Caitlyn was one of those blatantly, angry, and bitter people who thrived on making other peoples lives frustrating. When Caitlyn saw that I had forged the signature, instead of pulling me aside and asking me not to do it again, she went straight into the managers office and told him. He said I was on "probation" or some other term I cant remember which meant I was being closely watched. The next day I was on my way and I called to say Id be 10 minutes late and the manager told me to not bother even coming back ever, I was fired. I learned that waitressing wasn't for me, and since I wanted to work in the social services field, I would try to work at a daycare, or maybe a receptionist job. I will say though, most of the waitressing jobs I had, I didn't find the staff to be friendly, except for the UNOS in the Burlington Mall, everyone was super nice there but I had to leave because I was harassed by one of the managers but that is a whole other long story, which I will talk about it my next post!

But then: Work became fun.





Work to live - Don't live to work 




Now I'll talk about my current job and the one right before it. 
The job I had before the job I have now was working as a daycare teacher with 4-5 year old kids. I didn't really like the job that much, I found it very challenging, although I liked the people I worked with, it just didn't seem to be the right fit. The job that I have now is actually through the same company. I am an after school teacher and I absolutely love it. When you're working with kids people always tell you "You have to find the age group that works for you". It's so true. The kids I work with now are second and third graders. Working with older kids is a way better fit for me and what I am capable of, I feel like I get paid to hang out with my young friends everyday. Of course, this job can be really challenging at times because kids have so much energy and when you are the one responsible for their safety you have to make sure you stand your ground. What I like most about my job is that one of the things I get to do is create art activities and things like that, and its so cool because I am into art anyways so I get to enjoy doing it with the kids.But anyhow, I love my job and I hope that in the future I never have to have a job that I don't at least like a little bit if not love! 






and lastly, a few hip hop verses to some co-workers of the past who did not know the meaning of kindness:


Hey Caitlyn why you gotta be so rude
You act like we're surgeons
but we're just serving food
I start my day confident, you straight up ruin my mood

When I carry heavy trays you just get in my way
you do it on purpose but you smile and say
excuse me Sara - but I see through your intentions
When I needed help you were the first to mention

A mistake I had made, you couldnt let it fade
You had to be like that tattle student that had to get A's
Yo, your so annoying I wish I could trip you
Laugh at you and flip you off so hard, and the boss 
He thought I was no loss, but moving on from ya
was to me no cost

to me and my future 
you called me a loser
but I heard some rumors
you stole and left in a cruiser

Now when I roll through that joint to get food
I see you running around and looking all crude 
I get to sit back, place an order, enjoy a drink
couple of years ago, I never would think

that Id be the customer and you'd me serving me
but im not a jerk so I don't feel glee

Im just releived I dont have to take orders again
from rude ass girls and angry ass men



1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    Each of these stories is very real and very relatable (to your readers). We've all had jobs that we didn't like - and see how they taught us to move on, try harder, and find better fits?

    Your writing is excellent. You know how to effectively set up a story. I also like how you included a short, explanatory intro paragraph - setting the intention for your readers.

    You touch upon the Alchemy lesson in here - I think you intuitively knew it was coming next.

    Your poem is very good. Great rhymes on your scheme, and I like the aggressive tone that sets up your rap style. It has a great flow, except for one spot. Read it through again... do you spot the hiccup area?

    Again, your writing is honest and reflective. I like reading your words - I can tell that you're being sincere and trying to process some of this information for greater learning, understanding, and peace.

    Awesome work. Glad you're making the efforts to catch up.

    GR: 88 (-10 late)

    ReplyDelete