Sunday, March 1, 2015

Dreaming of today


remember
why
you
started


Life is a journey, not a destination



This morning I woke up thinking about where I am going in my life. I think that during the daily rush, people focus too much on where they are going and not where they are. I think that other 25 year olds think they can only feel completion once they are married with kids and own a house. But, I feel as if many people don't realize that once they get to that point, they will get nostalgic about the days we are in now.I often think about this and tell myself that I should try to enjoy my life right now, and find purpose in the day which I am in, rather than thinking I can only feel complete once I get a degree, house, married, etc. 




Another question I find myself commonly asking is what I want to do with my career. I love the thought of making a difference and I am trying to head toward a degree in teaching. But each morning as I wake up I think to myself "I am not a morning person at all. Do I really want to spend the rest of my life needing to be bright eyed and bushy tailed by 7am?". Sometimes I wonder how far I could get without a college degree. Most people tell me that it is not a good idea to skip college because you are always better off with some sort of degree, which I can not really deny--It is a good point seeing as these days the work world is getting more and more competitive-- and I must admit, I thoroughly have fun with each learning experience during college. Now that I am thinking about it, I can't go wrong with more education, but if I want to achieve goals of helping people and being an entrepreneur, I'll just have to make more time for that, as well as my education. 



I also find myself asking questions like "Do I really have a purpose? What if its all just meaningless, what if I am wasting my time trying to keep myself on some path that doesn't even exist?" But then I think: even so, I would be satisfied with enjoying some sort of life as well as helping as many people as I can. I know I want to help people, and I've thought about the different ways to do it: doctors help people feel better, teachers help people become educated, government workers can use opportunities help those less fortunate.. Where do I truly belong in that picture? It would be amazing to help people in different countries who are without a family, without food and clean water, and without health care.. but there are so many people that need to be helped! It is overwhelming. I will just continue to be my best person as an individual and see where it leads me, and hold onto my faith that I can only fit into this picture as much as one human possibly can. I have definitely created some setbacks for myself along the way, but I must use those as learning experiences, change my ways, and try my hardest.. I think others rely on it.



When I stop I notice...

The snowflakes falling down, 
People bundled up with hoods and heads down,
The lights coming on in the store across the street...
To greet another day of people in and out

The buses start to come
To take and leave people
They're trying to stay warm
They're pushing the snow away

If you look at the soft white friendly flakes and the way they flow
Each piece glides gently from the sky 
Each flake lightly meets us down from heaven... 
Way down here

If you pretend for one second, you're not in a fast rush
You could admire the snow from a warm home
With thoughts of a fireplace, hot cocoa and warmth

If you look real early in the morning, 
Listen with your eyes, its beautiful to see 
The people and the snow coexisting each day
Maybe snow flakes don't mean mean to bother
But maybe just to play

1 comment:

  1. Sena,

    Great post! I really like the design of this one - how you selected stylish/common images from nature. The woman on the lake is beautiful!

    Your free write is great... you're questioning yourself and your life. That's common for most people, and I think that you're right about being 25: marriage, career, house... all of these things are measures of success in New England... but they may not be your personal measure of success.

    For instance, I just went to a going away party for two dear friends of mine. We worked together. These girls are trying to make an impact, and they felt that their current, "successful" jobs were not satisfying enough. They didn't want the house or the kids. So, they sold all of their stuff and walked across the border to Mexico - to help orphanages and schools along the way... carving their path as they go (and blogging about it). To them, that type of adventure is success. They'd rather have that experience than a new car.

    Think about it (but not too hard). Let the universe give you clues and messages (just like in the book), regarding this big questions. When we think that it's all up to us to figure it out, it can be overwhelming. Be open to receiving, and see what comes your way. Play with it as you figure it out.

    Your poem is beautiful. I really like how you wrote about people and snow in a positive light, considering how bitter people must be getting about the situation. How we coexist... that's brilliant! Very good poem... good flow, but more importantly, you are interpreting the world and consciously writing about it's beauty. That's what you're choosing to focus on. You have that power.

    Great work! Glad to see you creating such great quality each week.


    GR: 97

    ReplyDelete